Saturday, May 13, 2006

The adventure begins

I want to learn to fly a helicopter and this is my journey. I am glad you can share it with me.
Tomorrow, I am taking my first lesson, albeit in a fixed wing plane but you have to start somewhere. I was fortunate enough to win this through a competition run by the British Women Pilots' Association last year. That's when I finally made my decision that if I didn't go with my dream now then I would regret it for the rest of my life.

I have always loved aviation. My father was enthusiastic and it rubbed off. We often went to airshows together, watched aircraft whenever possible but the opportunity to actually get up in one and fly never presented itself. Money - that has always been the problem!!

On that day in August last year I had a flight in a Robinson22 with the Female World Champion Pilot, Caroline Gough-Cooper. I was in safe hands. It was then I knew that I wanted to fly helicpoters rather than planes. They appear to be more of a challenge; they are more expensive to run; they are inherently unstable; they are want I want to fly.

So, what happens now?
Well, if anyone out there can help me - if they have any valuable advise, then I would like to hear from you. I need sponsorship and am currently writing to various organisations to see if I qualify. If you are one such organisation, then please get in contact.

But, it all starts tomorrow, weather pending. It doesn't promise to be a good day so I may have to postpone. It makes the idea of training in America all the more appealing. They have the weather there.

No comments: